Monday, June 11, 2012

U -- Underwater

I chose "underwater" because it's the only thing starting with U that's descriptive of the day.  Only it should be typed in sixty point font with flashing twinkly things all over.  I learned another kind of vanishing act fairies can do.  When Thumbelina had chores to complete in a tiny stream, I watched her actually dissolve under the water.

Me?  I'm still human.  I just got wet.  I had to swim around the best I could, and untangle the little water plants -- they need to flow easily past each other or something bad happens, but I can't remember how bad or in what way.  I had to do it all by hand.

Thumbelina's perfectly groomed water plants. 
Thumbelina looked things over in the section she had to do.  She swam a little up stream, and then just disintegrated.  I would have screamed or hyperventilated.  Or both.  Only, like I said before, I was under water.  She completely broke apart and moved through the patch of water plants.  Magically, they straightened themselves out.  It was the freakiest thing I ever watched.  It was a lot like Sandman flowing down stream in the Spiderman movie.  Only more style.

I kicked my way to the surface -- only about a foot to swim, really, but I was still fun sized at the time.

I called for help.  A couple of fairies nearby just looked at my like I was nuts.  When I told them my guide was gone, they just pointed at a blank patch of water and claimed they could see her there.

Then it was time to hyperventilate.

I didn't get any chores done in that stream.  Just slogged up onto the bank and freaked out loudly.

Thumbelina rose from the water, and calmed me down.

"It's just a different ability.  We aren't made of exactly the same kind of stuff as you humans, so we can do different things.  Don't be scared."

She was so soothing, I almost calmed down.

Then she got back to work.  In the water.  I had to cover my mouth and nose with two hands just because of my hyperventilation -- I saw that trick in a movie.  Works most of the time.

So, that's why I didn't write yesterday.  I was still adjusting to this idea of different compositions of fairy matter.   That may explain something about the radar not picking up on gigantic fairies orbiting the planet -- or at least I'm assuming it didn't pick anything up, since we didn't see any missiles.

I couldn't fit an Advil in my itty bitty mouth even if I tried, but man, I need one right now.

-- Sabrina

I kept telling the elders it was a mistake to choose Sabrina for the tourist job.  They thought since she's a writer, she'd be a nice ambassador to the humans -- particularly children.  Not so.  The girl freaks out too easily.  I watched her a few days before they offered her the vacation contract, and I knew exactly what we were in for.  What's she going to do when I morph into another shape?  Probably need something stronger than Advil.


Don't worry.  She's recovering ok.  She might even get caught up on the letter for the day, which is supposed to be T.


May your water lilly be wonderfully lush.


-- Fresh