Wednesday, June 27, 2012

D -- Drool

Guess what a side effect of nerve damage from a lightening blast is?  The ability to drool non-stop.  It has been a full day since my close call with the bolt of lightening, and I can almost hear normally.  The ringing in my ears is down to a low kind of background music.  It's the most annoying background music in the world. I'm thinking it will go away pretty soon, though.

The drool?

I have no idea when that will go away.

I woke up in the miserable nook I have used as my bedroom, and the first thing I saw was a dark stain all the way down the rock wall.  I must have been drooling all night.  I was totally dehydrated from it, too.  When I woke up, stretched, flexed my wings, and adjusted my sizzled hair, I also had to wipe off my cheek to prepare for the work of the morning.  I had to chug about a tablespoon of water.  And as you know, for a person who is fun sized, that's really saying something.

Then, all day long, I had to keep wiping off my chin.

This is totally un cool.

Back at the office, I'd be sent home -- and then people would be laughing behind my back for about a month.  I'd probably get a nickname out of it, too.

"You remember Sabrina, don't you?  The one who drooled?  We called her Grendel."

On a day like this, I can just be glad I'm not at work.  There's something to be said for being on vacation when you have your most embarrassing moments.

-- Sabrina

We encountered the same badger Sabrina mentioned in one of her earlier posts.  This one has always been foul-natured.  He always raises his hackles, and charges at anyone who comes close.  It's really not a problem for fairies.  We can fly, you know.  It was only a problem for Sabrina that one day when her wing muscles were too sore to fly, and I had to distract the badger so it wouldn't chomp her down in one gulp.  Sabrina wasn't thinking so clearly that day, and didn't remember she could still chose any size she liked.  Even the angriest badger in the world isn't going to attack a person the size of an elephant, right?  


This hollow log is next to the badger's
hole.  He's got a personality disorder.
Most fairies think it's best to leave him alone.
Well, back to the encounter today.  Since Sabrina wasn't flying quite straight in the morning, she decided to walk out and meet me at the flower opening assignment we had first.  The badger found her.  She actually wasn't walking too straight either.  Plus, her hair looked -- well, strange.  


Sabrina wasn't in any mood to be pestered by a badger, no matter how aggressive he tries to be.  She turned around and yelled right back at him.  With the frizzly hair, the copious drool, and the staggering around, the badger actually got spooked.  He's old enough to have seen rabies a few times.  Sabrina showed all the classic signs.  


You should have seen the old fellow.  He closed his yap, turned straight around and ran back down his hole as if the forest was on fire.


I laughed until I was blue.


-- Fresh


PS.  May your periwinkle tickle you pink.

It's later.  The drooling has tapered off some.  As long as I remember to swallow every few seconds, I look a lot closer to normal.  Having that crotchety badger scurry off like that was actually one of the happiest moments of this whole vacation.  I also laughed until I was blue.

-- Sabrina